Things seen to have started moving again in week 5, which is a welcome relief. As you may recall from my week 4 recap, I decided to do a carb-up day to break through my plateau, based on research that shows that a 24-hour carb binge might increase leptin levels.
From Monday night, September 5, through Tuesday night, September 6, I had my carb-up, which consisted of the following deliciousness:
- One medium pizza, with sliced jalapeños and ranch dressing for dipping
- A giant warm brownie with Ben and Jerry’s Boston Cream Pie on top
- Two bowls of Peanut Butter Puffins cereal with milk
- A roasted chicken sandwich on ciabatta bread with garlic fries
- Butternut squash ravioli with marinara sauce
- A custard tart with fresh fruit on top
I felt like total crap throughout the entire day. Having not consumed many carbs in the past few months, eating all of that bad stuff caused me to feel bloated, tired, and disoriented. The only thing that made me feel better was going to the gym.
As you can see from the graph, I gained almost 4 pounds overnight (mostly water weight, of course). Once I went back to eating low-carb, the weight dropped rapidly and by the end of the week I reached 179 for the first time in ages.
I’m back on my program full-time, and will continue to monitor my progress for the remaining 6 weeks, and I might choose to introduce another carb-up day here and there in order to keep things moving.
See you in week 6!